Wednesday 30 July 2014

A Trip Down Memory Lane




Wow, what can we say about the Wigan game? It was a superb game in which if we are honest, most fans thought we would get another thumping but NO! The boys worked very very hard for each other and won a hard fought battle against last years super league winners. Pride and passion was shown from all the boys wearing our Bulls shirts. The support was awesome and the scenes of jubilation and pride on every fan in attendance was second to none.
You can see highlights of the amazing game by clicking the link; Bulls beat Wigan
Brett Kearney was knocked out and suffered concussion and a result of this means he will miss this Friday's clash with our arch rivals, Leeds Rhinos. 
Lets all pack Headingley  Stadium as we go down with fighting spirit and remind Super League what they are going to be missing!
As we go down to the championship we take with us a list of honours including;
Super League winners:
1997, 2001, 2003, 2005
Challenge Cup winners:
1905-06, 1943-44, 1946-47, 1948-49, 2000, 2003
World Club Challenge winners:
2002, 2004, 2006.
Our longest winning streak was between 18th Aug 1996 and 22nd Aug 1997 with an impressive 21 matches.
Our longest win less streak was between 14th May 2010 and 13th Aug 2010 going win less in 11 matches.
Highest points in a Super League game came against Salford City Reds with a hugely impressive 96 points on Sunday 25th June 2000.
One of the highlights of our top flight rugby came on 3rd August 1999 when we held the highest super league crowd record of 24,020 inside Odsal and beat the Leeds Rhinos 19-18.
Producing some of the great players who, are either part of a team or coaching in and around Super League the Bulls legacy will always live on in Super League even if we as a competing team are not.
Yes its hard to take in but, its the start of another chapter in which we could continue to gather honours and be majorly successful in the championship.
The rebuild has started and the 2 new signings of Jake Mullaney and Dan Fleming can only be a good thing. Yes we are going to lose players to other Super League clubs and I don't blame them! We have such an array of talent on show that now other clubs will be approaching them and offering them what we cannot. We have however managed to so far keep hold of Lee Gaskell and Dale Ferguson. That in itself shows that their is a unity within the Bulls camp and hopefully we have a few more to add to that list within the next few days.
Looking back.


Tom's pic from his personal collection.
This week I felt it was fitting that, as we play Leeds we look back at that exciting and record breaking night in which 24,020 fans watched a thrilling game in which the Bulls came out victors in a much rivalled derby day 19 points to 18.
Here is a recollection by Jay.
I was at that very match and as a teenager it felt weird yet normal as my mother used to take me to all the home games and paid every time where my friends all had season tickets. My parents used to say the club got more cash by paying each game rather than season ticket yet, in all honesty it was that she couldn't pay a lump sum for a season ticket. The sights, sounds and smells were amazing! Waving to Bullman and getting soaked by the guy in the suit (Molecule Man) were normal and the smells of the food stalls and fireworks was a world away from where we are today. 
The Bullman's parade was such a highlight with hundreds of people all joining in and cars and trucks, local companies and the such like. Free mini rugby balls were thrown into the crowd and all the young children would chase Bullman along the shouting "me, me". 
Standing there waving my flag, wearing my cap and scarf along with the Bulls top made me such a proud fan! Then came the war cry, "COME ON YOU BULLS!" such a loud noise, all in unison and chanting with gusto, pride and full on effort roaring the boys on was spine tingling great! The atmosphere was to rival anything I have ever witnessed in my life. The Leeds fans were superb in voice and was always sporting in their loss. I went home and put 2 flags in the back of my bike and drove around the streets for hours!
I will forever treasure that amazing night and hope that one day in my lifetime I will be part of such a perfect experience.

Tom's recollection,
 I have seen a few Bradford-Leeds derbies but the one that stands out for me most has to be the record crowd at odsal what an amazing night it turned out to be.  The atmosphere was just electric it was something that if you were not there its hard to explain to be involved in the euphoria and to be a bulls fan that worked with lots of rhinos at that time made it so special. I recall the first half not really going Bradford's way and the bulls having a try disallowed then there was an amazing kick from McNamara to Nathan Mcavoy wow that was just amazing to be totally honest around this part I was just in heaven and as I said the atmosphere was electric. the last moments my there were tense but all of a sudden withers a drop goal well I jumped and jumped lost my keys beer went everywhere I couldn't talk for days after all the cheering shouting etc it was just amazing, waving the flag with pride and bragging rights. To go on for so many years and to dominate like we did was superb, then to go to the potential last game ever at odsal also made it more memorable as once again we beat the rhinos. Theres the challenge cup victory in 2003 the bulls my heart and always will no matter where we go I shall follow and sing and support COYB we will be back soon Leeds. This is also how I came to be involved with BULLieve as I met Jay and Sami between Bulls and Rhinos at Headingly that was a good night indeed best not forget Rob too I thank jay for giving me the opportunity to share my passion of the bulls through this page.
You can watch highlights if the famous win by clicking this link Bulls record crowd and beat Leeds 03/09/1999
Fans Interaction

This week we have received an Email from lifelong fan Gareth Dawson.
"This picture is from the famous "save our club" game against Leeds, the first time we faced extinction.
Back row: Myself (wearing my old school Northern shirt), My cousin Tom, Owen (my eldest) and, my Dad, Paul.
Stood in front of me is Morgan (my youngest).
Taking the picture is my wife Su (a fellow die hard Bull).
You'll noticed that Owen and my Dad are both wearing City colours - they're both massive football fans but have the Bulls in their hearts all the same.
Not only was the day historically significant for the club, and the match highly memorable, but it was historic for me and my family.
It was the first match I watched at Odsal with my dad (though I'd been going since me teens), the first Odsal home game I'd been to with Tom and, possibly most historically, it was the only time in history that 3 generations of the Dawson family had attended Odsal ;-).
That game means so much to me I thought I'd share it."
Thank you Gareth for your interaction and continued support! This picture just shows how much a family game Rugby League actually is and, how our passion is passed on to different generations and how our game as a whole CAN attract new fans.

We also received a recollection from one of our regular Tweeters - @BD_Angry who sent this fantastic email;
I’d been waiting for this, like every season: Bradford v Leeds; Bulls v Rhinos. The 
enormity of the match grew and grew – the biggest derby and two outstanding 
teams competing not just for two points, but for pride, for bragging rights, for the 
crown of West Yorkshire. Everyone knew this was going to be big… but how big?  
Free buses were put on from the city centre and I knew that I’d have no chance 
getting a ride back along Halifax Rd and could only hope and pray that my long 
walk would be after a win. 
Nerves set in on the Monday as phone calls flew around – which pub? what time? 
And, sickeningly, tempting fate with every syllable – what score?
Nerves grew and grew until they crescendoed at a size to match the massive 
crowd which greeted me as I passed through the turnstiles. The nerves subsided 
for a few seconds as I heard the chants, saw the colours flying high – blue & 
amber and red, amber & black, a heady mixture – and felt, not heard, the noise. I 
stood for a second just to look, to try and take it in, but the sights and sounds 
defied understanding and description. 
We were ready, the Bulls were ready and Bradford was ready to take the 
accolades: beating Leeds, taking Leeds’ record for biggest crowd, and cementing 
a place atop the league. 
The first half was a blur. Low scoring but thrilling – and Leeds hadn’t read the 
script. 10-0 down, then 12-2, it seemed that Leeds just wanted it that bit more. 
Robbie Paul’s mercurial run ending in Pryce’s try that wasn’t seemed to sum up 
the night so far, with Leeds being just on top… but it was the runs, Paul and 
Deacon twisting, turning, leaving Leeds’ men stood still, that was to be the 
leitmotif. 
Suddenly, the Bulls were awake… and hungry. 
The seesaw swung this way and that, but, with failing voice still screaming, I sang 
and sang and shouted and shouted. Every tackle was a victory to be cheered; 
each half-break bringing a roar; each call against a desecration and each call for 
proof that we are the righteous. 
When Vaikona took Deacon’s pass to scythe through Leeds’ defence, my voice 
was wrecked, my knees stung from jumping but the joy lifting us all was a drug 
which soothed sore throats and energised the throng. 
18-18 with minutes to go - a fine result, worthy of two teams who had given no 
quarter, not an inch, nor taken a single backwards step; a result worthy of the 
two best teams in the competition followed by the best, the loudest and the most 
fans. 
Stand up Mick Withers. To win a special game, it takes a special man and a 
special piece of magic. 

WOW! Thank you for such a fantastic recollection of such a special night, it will forever be a part of us and will continue to be one of our best super league moments for years to come.

Special Mentions
First of all I would like to give my co-writer Tom Fynn and his family a very special mention. We met on Facebook through the Bradford Bulls Banter group where it was asked who was going to the Leeds game at Headingley a couple of years back. Me, my Mrs, Rob Beezley and Tom all met for the game. We went to the ground and met Rob and then rang Tom to find out where he was, we walked around to the front of the ground where I suggested we went for a drink as, not met in person before. We went to the Royal Oak where we had a drink or 3 and then proceeded to the ground. We were all packed in like sardines but didn't care! We was on the brink of liquidation and turned up in force. Since then, Me and our family's instantly bonded and now class each other as family. We are in daily contact and have even been to Tom's a few times and spent some time in Brid. Bulls for me is not just a team, or club it is pure passion and family! From this things have gone from strength to strength hence how you are reading this blog.
Pictured is Tom at the Hull FC game under the BULLieve name.
Through our name BULLieve Tom managed to get press passes for both Hull FC and Hull KR which is only a good thing as, we are doing this blog for YOU the fans.

As you maybe aware, our good friends @SuperLeaguePod have recorded yet another superb podcast this week. please click the link to listen and then give them a follow on Twitter. here is the link, This week's podcast

Last but not least, our special mention goes to YOU!, Yes you reading this blog. You help us to continue writting for you and by spreading the word keeps us going so, THANK YOU!
If you like what you have read then please give us a follow on Twitter - @BULLieve2013
Tweets
It has been apparent that we get so many tweets to @BULLieve2013 that we should mention some in YOUR blog.
We tweeted; We does 24,020 mean to YOU? #BULLieve. here are our reactions,
@Becky1782 said THE best atmosphere and game at Odsal.. beating Leeds... amazing.
@BD_Angry quoted our tweet and said Best.Match.Ever!
@shoddynmungo said it means i was proud to be part of it
@yrokiewright70 said that game v Leeds..Withers drop goal, record attendance for #superleague at that time.
@odsal2002 said best derby in the world good times Btid.......
@diski253 said Let's hope and pray we can experience that again-looking forward to the meeting tomorrow night #RebuildingtheBulls
Our Tweet of the week goes to 
@RLBP_ with this Tweet 
Great win for the Bulls today 


Thank you for reading and please if you will, RT and share our link and let everyone know about our blog. ALL feedback is very much welcomed and anything you think we have missed please let us know!

Until next time,
Don't stop BULLieving!